Date : May 7, 2023 to May 7, 2023
Venue : Rose Tree Park, Media, PA 19063
Address : Media, Pennsylvania, United States
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact : 2154785669
Hello! You and your family and friends are invited to join us for a FREE family-friendly community event.
World Laughter Day is celebrated all over the world
on the first Sunday in May.
Check out this video from past events:
[https://youtu.be/qfyFxA2KYr0](World Laughter Day clip)
This year we will be celebrating the 9th Philadelphia Area WORLD LAUGHTER DAY Celebration on Sunday, May 7, 2023, 2-3PM
Unitarian Universalist Church of Delaware County
145 W. Rose Tree Rd.
Media, PA 19063
We hope to be laughing outside but in the event of rain, we will be laughing indoors at the UU Church.
This is a FREE event but we are grateful to those able to make a $3.00 donation to the church for the use of their beautiful space.
What is World Laughter Day?
Dr. Madan Kataria, founder of the global laughter exercise program a.k.a. Laughter Yoga, created World Laughter Day as a way to promote world peace and to celebrate by uniting in the most positive of ways, through laughter. After all, nothing builds bridges like laughter does! And laughter is also the universal language, which transcends politics and religion. When we laugh we are in the present moment and we connect joyfully- in support of one another. We are united in laughter.
So many reasons to laugh! Laughter is also known as the best medicine. The No.1 reason why people of all ages and backgrounds love to practice mindful laughter, is for stress relief (reduction of cortisol stress hormones). However, to name just a few, Laughter Yoga offers a myriad of other benefits:
- blood pressure regulation
- reduction of blood sugar levels
- improves lung strength
- improves mood
- reduces anxiety
- fosters social connections (apposed to loneliness)
- increases energy levels
- boosts self confidence
- fosters creativity
Fosters resilience and improves overall well-being for body, mind and spirit.
What is Laughter Yoga? Laughter Yoga is the combination of three powerful elements:
- laughter exercises (not based on jokes or comedy but rather on everyday situations.) We choose to laugh for our health because we know that the more we laugh (even if initially fabricated), we will end up feeling better.
- deep breathing exercises (that's the yoga in Laughter Yoga) to help regulate our breathing and catch our breath between the laughter exercises. This is very calming to the parasympathetic nervous system.
- A power down. We end our practice with a calming and centering cooling down.
Frequently asked Questions:
- Are there any yoga poses, do I need a mat? In Laughter Yoga, we don't do yoga poses (asanas) like in classic yoga and you do not need a mat. However, we do incorporate lots of simple movements. They are easy to follow and everyone can do as little or as much as they want. No mats required. Although, you can bring a mat or blanket for the final relaxation/power down.
- How are these exercises done? All exercises can be performed standing, seated or by moving around the room. You can even be in a wheelchair and paralyzed. To benefit, all you need is a willingness to laugh.
- I have never done Laughter Yoga before. Is it difficult? No experience necessary. All the exercises are super easy to follow.
Laughter Yoga is non-religious and non-political.
Register here! By signing up here on meetup, it can help us organizers understand how many people to expect and we can plan accordingly.
Thanks so much for taking a moment to register. This way, if there are any changes, we can also notify you and remind you of this upcoming event.
The more the merrier, so please consider inviting a family member, friend or neighbor to join you!
Please arrive 30 minutes prior to settle in and so that we may start on time. Thank you.
Please feel free to contact organizer Alexa Drubay at email@example.com for more information.