Laughter yoga is a unique exercise regime fast sweeping the world. It combines laughter exercises with yoga breathing which brings more oxygen to the body and the brain making one feel more energetic and healthy. Safe, easy and scientifically proven, Laughter Yoga is a lot of fun.
People do Laughter Yoga because it feels so good – you can feel a difference after your first laughter yoga session. It is a healing force and the biggest changes occur in areas where an individual requires healing the most. Personal benefits may only become obvious as one becomes aware of them over time.
Laughter yoga provides an excellent aerobic workout and is the only exercise that impacts positively and directly on your body, mind and emotions. Ten minutes of hearty laughter causes our body to release a cocktail of hormones and neuropeptides that could cost thousands of dollars over the counter. This 'joy cocktail' has profound influence and results in several preventive and therapeutic benefits.
Laughter Yoga is a single exercise routine which reduces physical, mental and emotional stress simultaneously and brings an emotional balance in a shortest period of time. Two recent studies confirmed the effectiveness of Laughter Yoga exercises in bringing down the level of the stress hormone cortisol and increasing positive emotions.
Regular practice of Laughter Yoga increases longevity and enhances the capacity of the body to fight stress related illnesses. Since it works like a stress-buster, it reduces the risk of psychological and physiological disorders, hypertension and cardiac problems.
Changes Mood State
Laughter Yoga can change the mood state within minutes by releasing "Feel Good' hormones from the brain cells called Endorphins. Your personal. business and social life improves when the mood is good and you're feeling good from within. Just 15 - 20 minutes of laughter Yoga makes you feel cheerful and positive throughout the day.
Strengthens Immune System
The immune system is the master key to good health and plays an important role in keeping away infections, allergies, even cancer. Laughter Yoga quickly boosts our immune system with fast increases in levels of anti-viral and anti-infection cells and also cells that fight cancer. It may attenuate some stress-related hormones and modify Natural Killer Cells activity (NK cells protect us from cancer), resulting in immunomodulation. Laughter Yoga also increases the levels of immunoglobulin A (IgA) that is the first line of defense which protect us against viral infections like cough and cold.
Best Cardio and Aerobic exercise
Laughter Yoga is like any other aerobic exercise and provides an excellent cardio and mid-body workout. According to Dr. William Fry just one minute of hearty laughter is equal to 10 minutes of rowing or jogging. This is in respect to cardiopulmonary endurance. The heart rate of 120 can be achieved much faster through laughing than running on the jogging tracks. Lloyd (Journal of General Psychology, 1938) showed that laughter is a combination of deep inhalation and full exhalation, inspiring excellent ventilation, wonderful rest and profound release.
It also exercises muscles and works out stomach, abs, back and pelvic groups. It is the only exercise that provides an internal massage of the digestive tract and internal organs such as the liver, spleen, pancreas, kidneys and adrenal glands.
Laughter Yoga also causes an ‘internal jogging’ that massages and promotes circulation to the digestive system and the lymphatic systems. It increases circulation to flush the body and organs of waste products leaving one ready to operate at peak performance. Also facial flushing from improved circulation leaves the skin glowing and radiant.
Increases Supply of Oxygen
Laughter Club members feel fresh throughout the day. The reason for the sense of well-being is that you inhale more oxygen while laughing. Two thirds of the lung capacity comes from abdominal breathing, which means that if you don’t use your abdomen to breathe, approximately 2/3 of the air in your lungs is stale. Laughter Yoga exercises fully flushes the lungs of stale air, thereby bringing more oxygen into the blood stream which helps to maintain a healthy balance and keeping one feeling fresh and energetic.
Easy to follow routine
Life today is extremely stressful and sedentary. High pressure, tension, technological onslaught, sleeping late, getting up early to reach the workplace, hardly leave people with any time for physical exercise. Another reason why people don't stick to an exercise routine is that most exercises become boring and non motivating after some time.
Laughter Yoga is a fun exercise and easy to follow. It is ideally suited for busy professionals and business people who have very little time to exercise. 20 minutes of laughter and breathing exercises can give similar results as those of going to the gym for one hour.
Mental, Emotional and Spiritual Benefits
- Laughter Yoga makes it easier to cope with life and its challenges.
- Laughter puts us intensely in the moment. The ability to live life fully and experience the ‘now’ is so important because it is only in the ‘now’ that we can experience joy.
- Laughter helps us cope with challenges and conflict better because it gives us a better perspective. It shrinks the hurts and upsets of everyday life to a smaller, if not inconsequential size. Issues appear less overwhelming. We are touched by the issue, but not contained by it. If we pay too much attention to our issues, they can become our focus. If we are able to laugh about things they diminish. Even annoying traits of people we interact with suddenly seem less important and become bearable (or even endearing) when we laugh about them.
- Laughter makes us feel good because it defuses painful emotions like fear, anger and boredom by releasing them. This release can prevent or stop conflicts, ease tension and help us to see and understand others people’s point of view.
- Laughter makes us generous to a level where we feel better giving than receiving. It lifts us up and makes life worth living. It helps us relax and reduces stress and tension. We enjoy the company of other people more than ever before.
Creates Positive Energy
- When people laugh together in a group it creates a positive group energy originating from positive thoughts, emotions and feelings.
- It eliminates negative emotions and thoughts.
- It uplifts the atmosphere in the Laughter Yoga session making it conducive to a positive state of mind.
- Unconditional, thought-free laughter and non-judgmental communication with other members of the laughter group creates a field of spiritual energy resulting in relaxed and uplifted feelings.
- Laughter makes us feel safer and more self-confident. It eases our awkwardness.
- When we make someone laugh they give us the gift of feeling witty.
- Laughter makes us feel comfortable in any situation. Past and current embarrassments seem to evaporate.
- It is hard to remain in conflict with someone when you are laughing. Power struggles cause us to focus on our own needs and ignore the needs of others. Laughter interrupts the power struggle.
- Laughter allows us to be more open with each other. It creates a feeling of safety where issues seem less important. It allows us to express ourselves more clearly because we think more clearly and creatively when we laugh.
- When we laugh with others we are fun to be with and provide good company. Regular doses of laughter and play take the work out of staying in love with life and other people for a lifetime.
- Laughing makes us more likeable because it reduces our tendency to gain self-confidence by analyzing and judging others.
- When we laugh with others, criticism and sarcasm seem to evaporate. We are able to let them be themselves and enjoy them even more for that.
- Laughter is a pathway to unconditional love. Loving with the mind is conditional. Loving with the heart is unconditional. The bonding qualities of laughter allow us to feel such emotional closeness that we want to be physically and spiritually close as well.
Laughter changes ‘who we are’ for the better
We are creatures of habit that often behave in ways contrary to our self-image. Laughter Yoga allows us to re-program automatic responses. For example, laughing instead of becoming angry at a high credit card bill. Identify ‘stressors’ that habitually made you angry and specially design laughter exercises to reprogram your automatic or sub-conscious responses. The effects of Laughter Yoga are amazing to experience and keep more and more people joining in. It is different from other forms of exercise in some very important ways.